Sunday, October 20, 2013

UMD Men's Soccer vs. Wake Forest 10/19/13

Soccer fans buy tickets at the box office before an Oct. 19 ACC matchup at the University of Maryland's Ludwig Field.  The #15 Wake Forest Demon Deacons edged the #4 Terps by a score of 4-3.
Early in the first half, a fan looks on from behind a corner flag. The Demon Deacons (7-3-4, 5-0-3 ACC) jumped out to a 2-0 lead by the 29th minute.
Three young fans watch as the Terps (6-3-5, 4-1-3 ACC) try to respond to an early Wake Forest onslaught. The Maryland squad tallied five shots in the first half, but only converted on one: a penalty kick from senior Patrick Mullins. 
In efforts to keep fan morale up, Testudo poses with several students at the Saturday game. Three minutes after Mullins scored on a penalty, a young Terrapins defense allowed another goal, making the score 3-1.
A bold Testudo confiscates a camera and, with the help of its photographer, snaps this "selfie." The Terrapin mascot stayed upbeat despite having to entertain a progressively disheartened Maryland fan base in the first half.
Maryland fans leave their seats before halftime to get a good spot in line at this food truck. Scores of students left the field after a 4-1 performance by the Terps in the first half.
Students in the Crew, the soccer fan base at the U of Maryland, shout "I am the worst goalkeeper in the land," to have someone closer to the score board respond with the time remaining in the half. These words were uttered frequently in the last 10 minutes, as Terps fans seemed all too eager for the first half to wind down.
After spending 20 minutes in the team trailer for halftime, the Terrapins soccer team returns to the field under the goalposts commemorating their 2008 National Championship team. Coach Sacho Cirovski's half-time adjustments yielded a more competitive second half.
Members of the Crew give Patrick Mullins spirit fingers before he converts on a second penalty kick in the 56th minute. Fans were encouraged early in the second half as the Terrapins played like a different team.
Shortly after Maryland freshman Michael Sauers shortened the Demon Deacon lead to 4-3 in the 60th minute, fans cheer for a transformed Terrapin team. The Terps had several scoring opportunities in the 30 minutes following, but failed to capitalize.
With the final seconds of regulation ticking away, disappointed fans start heading for the exit.  A poor first half proved too much to overcome for the Maryland team.
Several in attendance watch as Wake Forest takes control of the ball with less than a minute remaining. A second-half surge that once looked like an inevitable comeback from the Terrapins fell just shy of tying the game.

No comments: